Thursday, January 13, 2011

Ossobuco-'bone with a hole'

Claire D. sent this recipe to me. Ossobuco or Osso Bucco is a typical Italian dish, specifically from the Milan region of Italy.  Traditionally it is prepared with veal shanks that are cross-cut and braised in white wine with vegetables. Lasater's meaty shanks make the perfect substitute for veal shanks. The modern recipe calls for tomatoes, red wine, & vegetables.  I used Claire's recipe which is like other modern recipes. I then added a few small pieces of beautiful homemade prosciutto given to me by Ryan S.  We love being Ryan's neighbor!  My ossobuco was a deliciously rich meal. I slow cooked it in the crock pot and came home to an amazing aroma that filled the house. Next time I will try ossobuco with white wine and gremolata!  Here follows the recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 2 packages of Lasater meaty shanks
  • 4 tsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, diced
  • 1 cup carrots, diced
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 3 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 14oz can tomatoes or fresh, up to 28oz for more sauce
  • 1 tsp dried basil or 2 frozen basil cubes
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 Tbsp parsley (put in 15 minutes before serving)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Optional: add a couple of pork ribs or prosciutto for flavor
Ryan's prosciutto
Directions: 
Put everything in a crock pot, olive oil 1st, then the beef shanks, then everything else. If you have time, brown the shanks before putting them in the crock pot, and saute the onions (I did not do this, and it tasted perfect!). Be sure to leave the shanks on the bottom of crock pot, stir everything, getting the juices between the shanks. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.5 hours minimum. Can also be made on the stove, cooking in a deep pan for 2-2.5 hours or until the shanks are very tender. 

Serve with risotto or polenta




2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this dish. I have made it twice now and have enjoyed it both times. It's cheap to make and tastes amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried this dish today and boy it's a real HIT! YUM... So rich and mouth watering

    ReplyDelete